You've seen them before many times in so many films. Male actors in drag, in women's clothing, just trying to pass as actresses or trying to woo them or just for mockery. They look hideous, ridiculous, outrageous, and anything but gorgeous. But they still do it and we enjoy them.
Here I give you the first 10 songs where we get to indulge in this goodness. ;) I know there's more out there that I'm missing so if you remember it on top of your head, please do share.
In a random order:
- Shashi Kapoor in suno suno kanyaao ka, Haseena Maan Jaayegi
Here we get to see the Westernized females of Upkar at the poolside, then a weeping, shikara-riding, Kashmiri gal Nanda or you have a hard time deciding whether he looks more like Asha Parekh? I can't decide. Later we get to see her.. err him as orange-clad, ektara-playing jogan and kathak-dancing mujra girl/tawaif. You got to watch her thumkas and nakhras and jumps by the end! Sorry the video quality isn't the best but you will have just the same laugh, I guarantee it.
- Amitabh Bachchan in mere angane mein, Lawaris (1981)
Women with hair on chest and tummy! No more remarks.
- Mehmood in nathaniya haale to badaa mazaa hoye, Johar Mehmood In Hong Kong (1971)
If this is how men need to be wooed, it's no wonder women don't want to do it. [Partial song starts at 2:40 min]
- Mehmood in dhadakne lagta hai mera dil, Dil Tera Deewana
Tall and healthy women are beautiful but not here.
- Shammi Kapoor in subhaan allah haaye haseen chehra, Kashmir Ki Kali
You'd wish (s)he kept wearing that burkha, didn't you!?
- Aamir Khan in dole dole dil dole, Baazi (1995)
He makes one real pretty woman, I must say. And my my what dance can she do.. no wonder those men are going ga-ga over her. I don't blame them.
- Kamal Hassan in chupdi chupdi chaachi, Chachi 420
Checkout chachi's hip-swaying walks and the style in which she climbs the bus. ;) She takes my breath away! [Song starts at 4:57 mins]
- Kishore Kumar in aa ke seedhi lagi dil pe, Half Ticket (1962)
A classical dance, that's all I got to say. Pure entertainment! I do wonder about where her waist is though, don't you?
- Shammi Kapoor in chali chali kaisi hawaa yeh, Bluffmaster
The ultimate qawwali song where everything opposite is happening.. like "bhanwre pe marne lagi hai kali". My what lachak-filled thumkas can Shammi Kapoor maar and the way he moves his gardan is classic! New dancers can go take classes with him. This one has a bonus: I forget his name but it's the guy sitting next to Shammi Kapoor. Yes, indeed, it is a male actor.
- Rishi Kapoor in dil dena buri balaa hai, Rafoo Chakkar (1975)
You get a very cute looking Paintal as a bonus with a very feminine looking Rishi Kapoor. Too many buri balaa in this one? [You can watch more of it here]