Tuesday, December 09, 2008

My favorite rain songs

First, it was this post by memsaab and then my previous rain post... I just had to do this one.

I know there's still a lot many more rain songs out there that I haven't had a chance to discover yet so I've included only the ones that came to mind right now.

Here are 16 of my favorite rain songs in a random order:

  • Most sensual: jo haal dil ka, Sarfarosh
    Aamir Khan and Sonali Bendre - now that's one sight we don't get to see too often. Totally love their pairing, too bad they didn't come in too many movies together. A seductive song in stormy weather. I adore how they match the colors of their clothes in this one.



  • Most scandalous: chal chal mere sang sang, Astitva
    Tabu and Mohnish Behl pair up once again after Hum Saath Saath hai. There's only one word to describe this song - scandalous. So are the lyrics and everything about it. It is the height of seduction, IMO. Sukhvinder Singh has done a fantastic job singing it. The entire song isn't a rain song but at least last minute of it is so I think it does count. Here it's kind of the other way around, he is out there running around in rain and she watches him from the balcony before giving in. What fantastic movie! I adore this pair, totally! They are just awesome together and have a great on-screen chemistry. Do watch if you haven't already for the drama and Tabu's acting.



  • Most playful: bheegi bheegi jaadu bhari.. boondon se baatein, Thakshak
    Yet another beautiful rain song of Tabu. She looks absolutely beautiful, playful and seductive at the same time.



  • Most melodious: rimjhim ke geet saawan gaaye, Anjaana
    I really wish they had picturized this song on someone else other than Babita. Rajendra Kumar looks very handsome as usual and the song is beautiful! Only if Babita was replaced by someone else, it'd have been so much better. I still like the song nevertheless.



  • Most traditional: megha re megha, Lamhe
    I call it most traditional, as it has actually all the signature things about rain: dance, saawan ke jhoole, romance, playfulness, happiness, excitement, sensuality woven in it.



  • Most beautiful: o sajna barkha, Parakh
    The kind of song that I feel like watching over and over again. This one's truly a beautiful song with very beautiful and young Sadhana and the rain almost looks real. Notice how the rains and trees too evoke the feelings conveyed in the music of Salil Chowdhary and the lyrics are of Shailendra. This one's based on raag khamaaj.



  • Most adorable: milan abhi aadha adhura hai, Vivah
    One of my favorite songs of recent times; it's not entirely a rain song but it surely begins in rain so I've added it to the list.



  • Most cute: idhar chala main, Koi Mil Gaya
    Watch it for yourself. Cute is the word. I adore this song for Hrithik's dancing and for the song lyrics/music.



  • Most sexy: tip tip barsa paani, Mohra
    The ultimate rain song! Akshay Kumar and Raveena Tandon set fire in rain in this one. ;) I love the way the singers - Alka Yagnik & Udit Narayan - have sung this one.



  • Most fun: koi ladki hai jab woh hasti hai, Dil To Paagal Hai
    This one really makes me want to just get up and dance. I think that's because of Madhuri Dixit's dancing. One amazing dancer she is in this one and otherwise. Truly an inspiring dancer and actress. It's quite fun to watch other dancers in the song too - SRK and the kids - all of them so energetic in their dancing, it's infectious.



  • Most romantic: rimjhim gire saawan, Manzil
    A very tall and handsome Amitabh Bachchan and Mausami Chatterjee who has THE cutest smile with uneven teeth that remind me of Shashi Kapoor's teeth, for their lovely smiles of course. This is one of my favorite rain songs. So simple yet so beautifully romantic. Love the way both of them hop around in rain and the cheery smiles on their faces and running and hopping through muddy puddles of water holding hands... aah so very romantic!



  • Most crazy: tip tip tip tip baarish shuru ho gayi, Afsaana Pyaar Ka
    I couldn't believe I remembered this one. Only had heard/seen it when it came out and then today. I like Aamir Khan's dancing quite a lot in this one. Actually, I like his dancing at all times, regardless of what movie it is so. :P



  • Most amazing: dil tera deewana, Dil Tera Deewana
    Out of this world! that's the only way to describe this one. It can't get any better. Dripping with romance and the music, lyrics, voices of the singers top notch! Not to mention the actors - Shammi Kapoor and Mala Sinha. I think no other actress of Bollywood has had as many good songs to her credit as Mala Sinha.



  • Most silly: na jaane kahaan se aayi, Chaalbaaz
    It's so silly it makes me laugh watching this one. Actually the whole movie is my favorite so the song has to be in the list of my favorite songs. Check out funny, playful, crazy, drunk Sridevi with Sunny D in this one.



  • Most sad: tujhe yaad na meri aaye, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
    Yup, I find this one the most sad one of all rain songs.



  • Most seductive: aankhon se toone yeh, Ghulam
    Again, it's a partial rain song but awesome one. Aamir Khan and Rani Mukherjee pair up for this hit number from Ghulam.


17 comments:

Soham Shah said...

Great list of rain songs !! ..

I guess u hv covered almost all the nice rain songs .. I could not think of one now !!

Anonymous said...

Yaar you have ignited the fire again.

My fav is rimjhim gire sawan..

What's your take on teri do takiya di naukri from Roti, kapda aur makan ? :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Kanan :-) I haven't heard of some of these, look forward to watching them!

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Love that you included "cute" and "fun" categories - I wasn't expecting that at all! Wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

Great list. I'd almost forgotten that Asaana Pyaar Ka song. Its so good but I havent seen it in such a looooooong time.

Anonymous said...

What no mention of 'Ek ladki bheegi bhaagi si' from chalti ka naam gaadi? madhubala looking enchanting...

Unknown said...

well m missing "lagi aaj savan ki phir wo jhadi hai" from Chandani. It has to get into most lamenting song !!!

JD said...

Amazing collection !!!

~ ॐ ~ said...

And I like...

Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhagi si... (Chalti ka Naam Gaadi)

I actually love it !!!

and

Barsaat mein, hum se mile tum sajan tumse mile hum barsaat mein...
tak dhina dhin ! (Barsaat)

and

Pyaar Hua Ikraar Hua, pyaar se phir kyon darta hai dil... (Shri 420)

and a lovely list this be... maza to tab aayega when you send the MP3s out to people over email :)

S-n-E-h-A-l = SEA = WIDE = OPEN = DEEP said...

i am just mad for rain...http://apearlinthedesert.blogspot.com/2008/07/want-to-sleep-in-lap-of-rain-i-find.html

Kanan said...

Soham, not yet, there's more to add to the list. ;) I am thinking to make part II of this post. Do keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Cuckoo, oh I am so happy to know that. ;) It's my fav too. I do like that one and it's very nice song. More on that in next post.


Memsaab, thanks to YOU for starting this. :) It's so much fun; I am totally enjoying it.

Kanan said...

Beth, well, thank you. I really love those two. Btw, there's more to come. :D

bollyviewer, thank you. Now you'll get to watch this one yet again.. I wish I also got to watch many songs like these that we keep forgetting over time but are sitting there deep down in our memories somewhere at their special place.

Meena, I know. I think it might just make it in the next list... I agree with the Madhubala looking enchanting bit. She must have been some blessed soul.

Kanan said...

Kumar, I totally forgot that one. Thank you for reminding. :) I like that category - most lamenting.

Jaydip, thank you. :) Which are your favorites?

Prashant, I too like the ones you mentioned but I think they're too famous.. more like too common so left them out. I'd be happy to share these numbers. Can I sent them at the GTalk ID? Pls let me know.

Kanan said...

Alok, I didn't, not yet. I like the music and song but to be honest, the picturization didn't appeal me that much.

Snehal, nice. :) I think it might be okay for me to say that almost all the Indians are mad for rain unless it's crazy 37 inches of rain in a day kind of thing. Isn't it?

Java said...

Wow, you must all have got drenched running into each other's comments.. 15 comments! Wow, must be among the more popular of your posts.

Ek farmaish => Sawan Barse Tarse Dil

Kanan said...

Java, drenched wouldn't even be the word, flooded would be more like it. :D hahaha... yup, one of the popular posts, but the most popular one was with 20 comments. ;)

I've heard "saawan barse" so much before, like it quite a lot. Got to watch the picturization now.

Anonymous said...

I wa going through all the rain songs, would like to add Barkha Bairan zara tham ke barso from movie 'Sabak', Jhir jhir barse sawani akhiyan from 'Ashiwaad' & Jhir jhit badrwa barse who kare kare 'Parivar'