Sunday, August 03, 2008

Coconut Bay

One of my favorite restaurants for Thai food on the Peninsula. I actually like Narin that's next door from this place better, but since I ate here only last week, I thought I'd write about it.

I do have to tell you that it's a little pricey for the amount of food they give, but it's good nevertheless. The place is very well lit from the inside and also has quite a lot of daylight because of being located on the corner.

For lunch, as a vegetarian you don't have too many choices but you can request them to make a meatless/egg-less Pad Thai noodles and their Panang Curry is quite good.

They have a bar next door as well and the place is small but very cute and clean. The service is good but they get very busy at meal times so if you're planning to eat there, make reservation or go a bit early.

* - the dinner item I've tried in the past and liked.

Garden Fresh Rolls * - Rice paper rolls with fresh vegetables served with a carrot sauce

Roti with Curry sauce * - Grilled East Indian flat bread served with a curry dipping sauce

Jungle Tom Yum Soup * - (Special request to make it vegetarian without chicken broth or meat) Chicken or prawns in spicy and sour soup with mushrooms, tomatoes and lemon grass

Papaya Pok Pok Salad * - Shredded green papaya mixed with green beans, Chili, carrots, tomatoes and ground peanuts. This stuff is very delicious! They do give a small amount for this one.

Vegetarian Delight Salad * - Green salad, bean curd, tomatoes, cucumbers, Red onions, bean sprouts, topped with peanut dressing.

Then they have a whole section for the veg. items:

Spear & Shield - Sautéed asparagus spear with whole shitake mushrooms and garlic sauce (Seasonal)

Curry Powder Vegetables - Sautéed mix vegetables with mild curry powder and garlic

Tangy Vegetables - Sautéed mixed vegetables with pineapple, onions tomatoes, cucumbers and black fungus

Oyster Sauce Broccoli - Sautéed broccoli with oyster sauce garlic and black mushrooms

Vegetable Combo - Sautéed fresh seasonal vegetables with soy sauce and garlic

Curry Vegetables * - Fresh seasonal vegetables in panaeng curry with coconut milk mushrooms and sweet basil

Peanut Sauce Vegetables - Boiled spinach, cabbage and bean curd topped with mild curry peanut sauce

Sweet Basil Bean Curd - Sautéed bean curd with sweet basil, chili, garlic, zucchini, bell peppers, green beans and snow peas

Bean Curd with Eggplant * - Sautéed bean curd with eggplant, egg, chili, black bean sauce and sweet basil

They have about five or so desserts. I've tried the fried banana with ice cream only, but I am sure others will be good as well. Can't wait to try the fried banana with honey the next time I go.

My rating for Coconut Bay: 4/5

Name: Coconut Bay
Type: Thai
Average Price: $8-10/person (Lunch), $12-18/person (Dinner)
Address: 1300 Howard Ave, Burlingame, CA 94010 (At the intersection of Howard & Park Rd)
Phone: (650) 558-8268
Website: http://coconutbayrestaurant.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggest some good restaurants in Houston for me.

Anonymous said...

Sneha, I haven't tried that many places in Houston so can't tell. In the bay area (Galveston) there's an Indian restaurant named Mogal and then there's Madras Pavilion where I ate once. Other areas that I was in had no decent restaurants. Plus I haven't been to that many restaurants in Houston so can't tell much. Sorry. I will try to find out from my contacts if they have any suggestions and let you know.