Monday, May 19, 2008

"Man ka ho to acchha. Man ka na ho to zyada acchha."

Something wonderful I read today, so thought of sharing it.

The above were the words of Shri Harivansh Rai Bachchan.

More below in the words of his own son, Amitabh Bachchan.


We remained like that for some time. We didn’t look at each other. Just stared out through the window.


And then I heard his voice -


“Man ka ho to acchha. Man ka na ho to zyada acchha !”


If things happen according to what you wish. It is good.


If things do not happen according to what you wish. Then it is even better.


And for the entire duration of the Play my father understanding the pain of my mental condition, sat next to me in that Hospital bed explaining to me the meaning of these golden words, not allowing me for a moment to get distracted by the goings on in Millman Hall.


If things do not happen according to your wish then they happen according to the wishes of the Almighty. And the Almighty always does things for your good, hence His wishes will always be better.


I argued against it. It was not logical. How can this be true. How can something that does not happen according to your wish be better.


But he persisted and explained and gave examples and persisted again and again and again. Till I succumbed !


It has been the greatest lesson of my life. One that has stayed with me in every situation. It has been my strength in adversity, my companion in pain and tribulation and my dearest friend in moments of glory and joy.


I shall be in Sherwood for Founder’s after 50 years. I shall walk past the School Hospital to Millman Hall again and time shall stand still as the strains of my father’s words come back to me, strong and resilient.


My father is no more. And one day I shall go too. But I have left these words with Abhishek for him to follow and pass on.


Humans perish, not their words. They are eternal.


‘Man ka ho to acchha. Man ka na ho to zyada acchha !’


My love and more to you always -


Amitabh Bachchan

Source: Day 31

8 comments:

Bhavesh said...

hmmm thought provoking!

Unknown said...

very nicely said.
but how do you convince "man" about his "man"?

chinmai said...

thats a very nice th8..

Maryum said...

thank u so much for sharing it.. its great...very nice.

Kanan said...

Bhavesh, Kumar, Chinmai, Maryum, thank you. Glad you all liked it as well.

Kanan said...

Kumar, the answer to your question is: practice.

Ankur said...

Very Inspiring. Keep it up , do share more such quotes.
:)

Unknown said...

It is amazing poetry
And I inspire poem.